Proposal: Split up QA:Testcase_desktop_updates into three separate test cases

Giulio 'juliuxpigface' juliuxpigface at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 28 06:07:44 UTC 2015

Il giorno lun, 27/04/2015 alle 18.09 -0700, Adam Williamson ha scritto:
> Hey folks!
>
> So several people have commented in the past that
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_updates is kind
> of
> a mess, and I think that's correct. I think we were trying to make
> things 'efficient' at the time by exercising several different things
> in one test, but it really does result in a messy, hard-to-comprehend
> test case.
>
> So, I propose we split it into three separate test cases, and I've
> drafted them up:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_base_u
> pd
> ate_cli
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_deskto
> p_
> update_graphical
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_QA_Testcase_deskto
> p_
> update_notification
>
> The first would be an Alpha test case in the Base (not desktop)
> results page, and just covers installing updates with yum/dnf. The
> second would be a Beta test case in the Desktop page, and covers
> installing updates from a graphical desktop. The third would be a
> Final test case in the Desktop page, and covers notification of
> available updates.
>
> I'm also planning to draft some additional test cases covering
> package
> installation and removal tomorrow - mainly for the test day we have
> coming up, but it would probably not be a bad idea to have them as
> release validation tests as well.
>
> What do folks think? Does this look like an improvement? Thanks!
> --
> Adam Williamson
> Fedora QA Community Monkey
> IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | XMPP: adamw AT happyassassin .
> net
> http://www.happyassassin.net

Hi Adam.

When we see a single 'fail' on the current matrix, we can not be sure
about what part of the process might be broken (dnf? apper?
notifications? kde's applet?).

So, in my opinion, the tests are much clearer as they appear in your
drafts. They could improve the readability of our results. Indeed, I
prefer little, 'monolithic' test-cases which are easier to follow and
to track down.

Have a nice day!

// Giulio (juliuxpigface)