Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 30 20:13:47 UTC 2015

Just FYI, this will likely be my last post to this thread.

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 12:59:12 -0700
Chris Murphy <lists at colorremedies.com> wrote:

> ATMs have rate and retry limits, among other mechanisms, to permit a 4
> digit numeric PIN being adequately secure. Does Fedora have limits on
> rate and retries? If not, why not?

I think there are in ssh. I don't know the details.

> User who want or need more secure passwords can always opt in without
> affect anyone else. Why is the project's installer not merely
> questioning the user's veracity and competency, but disallowing them,
> by force, from doing what they think is in their best interest?

Because you cannot just say "This is some decision, I know whatever I
do will have good and bad tradeoffs, therefore, I will just not decide
and expose all the possible choices to the user". Thats just not
tenable.

> What is the plan should no one care to harden Fedora security in other
> ways? 16 character passwords are next? The diceware minimum
> recommended passphrase is made of 5 words. If the project cares so
> much about other people's minimum acceptable security that it's
> willing to enforce this under duress, why not make it actually
> meaningful? Oh, because a 20 character passphrase being compulsory
> might actually make too many users angry for suggesting their
> passwords are shit.

I don't know that there's any plans to go higher.
The Fedora account system requires 9 (if mixed with different case and
puncuation).

> > apg (along with many other things) can generate you a list of
> > passwords and 'pwscore' can make sure they will pass the same tests
> > anaconda would give them.
> >
> > IMHO, this isn't so big a deal.
>
> And apg and pwscore are going to be integrated into the Anaconda GUI?

I doubt it?

> Or will the GUI simply be an enforcer while providing zero assistance
> in selecting an appropriate password? What feedback will the user be
> given so they understand what exact change in behavior they need to
> make?

I don't know. Perhaps you could provide some sensible RFE on what
feedback it should/could give?

> Have you actually played with pwscore?

Yes.

> # pwscore root
> shrkobtk
> 1
> # pwscore root
> tableprison
> 41
> # pwscore root
> inforats
> Password quality check failed:
>  The password fails the dictionary check - it is based on a
> dictionary word
>
> This defies belief. Random scores lowest. Two dictionary words scores
> average. A dictionary word fragment and a plural noun is disqualified.
> Ridiculous.

Feel free to file bugs on it. I suspect the random one is due to it
being short as well as all lower case and containing no numbers.

> > I'll have to change my throw away
> > instance test password from 'abc123' to something like 'tacosyum99'
> > Shrug.
>
> You fail to understand the can of worms opened up by this. My trust in
> Fedora is diminished because of the theatrics and indiscriminately
> shifting this burden onto all users. The arguments in favor thus far
> are demonstrably specious, so there must be some other explanation for
> why the change is being made.

I think most people think it's not such a big deal and cannot see why
you are so stridently affected by it.

kevin