Heads up - Anaconda 22.17 will enforce 'good' passwords

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 30 20:21:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-30 at 12:59 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> What's the actual, real world,
> non-imaginary impetus behind the change?

It's exactly what all the list posts I pointed you to say it is. I
don't know how to stop the conspiracy virus which causes people to
leap to the conclusion that there's some shadowy secret motive behind
every change they don't like, but there *isn't*. PJP posted about his
change proposal to anaconda-devel . bcl said 'that doesn't sound like a
good idea, but we take your point about possible brute force attacks
against services enabled ootb, and an easy way to mitigate that is to
require strong passwords'. anaconda already *has* a password strength
checker, so it probably took him all of five minutes to make it
mandatory instead of optional. Then he dropped a mail here as a
courtesy heads-up. that's the entirety of what happened.