Translating manpages

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sun Mar 21 21:15:04 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Pablo Martin-Gomez
<pablo.martin-gomez at laposte.net> wrote:
> Le Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:38:45 +0200,
> Dimitris Glezos <glezos at indifex.com> a écrit :
>
>> Here's a Q: How are manpages translated? Are they translated at all?
>> If they are translated somehow, how would they be packaged?
>>
>> I see Debian having a few teams collecting manpages and translating
>> them via PO files. Sounds like a good meta-distro-project of sorts.
>
> Just to comment the second part. I recently switch the source of the
> man-pages-fr package to the Debian's one. Excluding the easiness of
> translating po files instead of man files, this Debian project has a
> cool initiative : they collected the patches from the Fedora's man-pages
> package, created a dedicate file to translate this changes, and
> eventually built a tarball for Fedora with our patches included. And
> they do this for almost every distro.
>
> For now, they use a git repo to manage the po files. I suggest them to
> use Transifex as a front-end (Tx.net or a dedicated instance) but they
> prefer to wait for having more distro around the table before using a
> more user friendly interface.

Hey Pablo.

This is really cool. What git repo is it? Is this only for the french
manpages? If yes, can it be extended to all languages?

Maybe we could start a discussion off-mailing list (since lots of CC's
of unsubscribed users will lead to chaos) and get the opinion of more
people?

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos