Translating manpages

Pablo Martin-Gomez pablo.martin-gomez at laposte.net
Sat Mar 20 14:03:53 UTC 2010

Le Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:38:45 +0200,
Dimitris Glezos <glezos at indifex.com> a écrit :

> Here's a Q: How are manpages translated? Are they translated at all?
> If they are translated somehow, how would they be packaged?
>
> I see Debian having a few teams collecting manpages and translating
> them via PO files. Sounds like a good meta-distro-project of sorts.
>
> -d

Hi,

Just to comment the second part. I recently switch the source of the
man-pages-fr package to the Debian's one. Excluding the easiness of
translating po files instead of man files, this Debian project has a
cool initiative : they collected the patches from the Fedora's man-pages
package, created a dedicate file to translate this changes, and
eventually built a tarball for Fedora with our patches included. And
they do this for almost every distro.

For now, they use a git repo to manage the po files. I suggest them to
use Transifex as a front-end (Tx.net or a dedicated instance) but they
prefer to wait for having more distro around the table before using a
more user friendly interface.

Pablo