Context in Technical Translation : Concept and Guidelines

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Fri Apr 12 10:14:23 UTC 2013

написане Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:05:39 +0300, Rajesh Ranjan
<rajesh672 at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel <
> ankit at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/12/2013 04:19 AM, Yaron Shahrabani wrote:
>>
>>> I had a similar idea but instead of making it so theoretical I though
>>>  about making it facebook like.
>>>
>>> It should be something like this: A collaborative image tool allowing
>>> people to upload screenshots of the software, then the translators
>>> can go look at the picture and "tag" the different strings to a
>>> certain line in the PO and maybe even comment it.
>>>
>>> This way we can use the community instead of creating more work for
>>> the devs and connect better as a community.
>>>

>> Why do we always have to ask devs only?
>>
>> Why can't we have another group of people (Say Fedora SIG for doing
>> Contextualization of Fedora applications) taking care of this?
>>
>> Last month I wrote an e-mail to docs, test and i18n list about this:
>> http://lists.fedoraproject.**org/pipermail/docs/2013-March/**014858.html<http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/docs/2013-March/014858.html>
>>

> Fedora needs work much from the context point...as I already wrote
> earlier
> that even Anaconda is not having a single line of context in whole files
> given to translators. See how important Anaconda is and how it can effect
> badly, we can understand.
>
> Ankit, SIG is good...but it will be always good if the developer also
> works
> with SIG and guides the SIG in writing the contextual information.

Hi,

Just a little bit on context messages in KDE and the future development of
contexts in it:

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Localization/i18n#Adding_Context_with_i18nc.28.29

http://nedohodnik.net/misc/ki18n-kf5-02/html/prg_guide.html#good_ctxt

Thanks for your work.