FUEL translation now available on Zanata!

Mon Sep 2 11:25:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Ankit Patel <ankit at redhat.com> wrote:
> I thought I replied you!

If you did, it must have been off-list.

> The language communities at Fedora are (and should be) already
> subscribed to trans at lists.fedoraproject.org as part of the fedora
> localization guidilines[1], so the respective language communities
> should have noticed these email conversations. The FUEL glossaries
> enabled are references or suggestions from the FUEL Glossaries, which
> are not being applied automatically to any translations.
>
> Again, if any of the language communities would want to disable it, I
> can do that quickly.

So, here's what I see as an issue.

If this is a Zanata product feature, it would behove the team (or, a
representative of it) to actually provide opt-in rather than opt-out.
Because, by doing the latter you are thinking on behalf of the
language communities. And, you'd be able to do that if you switched
this on using your FLSCo role.

Now, traditionally, FLSCo, the Fedora Board and, the FPL have not been
tremendously active when it comes to language related issues (contrast
the involvement with FESCo). So, if you did elect to have default
opt-in as a FLSCo representative, there was perhaps a requirement of a
FLSCo meeting.

If your decision was as a FUEL upstream, then it is a bit autocratic
to switch it on without asking anyone.

If your decision was in some other capacity, this would require a
notice of a switch-on/inclusion, a drop-dead-by date and, thereafter
this action.

FUEL may be an excellent collection of a list of frequently used
terms. But switching it on by hammering through a default opt-in,
without specifically mentioning it coming or, announcing it on Zanata
or, Trans list is a bit atypical. The fact that you can disable this
feature raises another interesting point - what is the level of your
access to the Zanata infrastructure? Is there a list maintained
somewhere which provides detail on who have access to the Zanata
internals and, are approved to tweak bits? Infrastructure Operations
are generally a well documented process and, a small subset of
individuals have varying levels of access - are you a Zanata admin?

Frankly, I've long given up hope for FLSCo to be an useful entity,
saddled as it is by "interest". So, yes, this is a governance failure
and, it does set a dangerous precedent of "knowing better than the
language communities"

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>