On Fedora's Localization platform

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 18 02:00:38 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

ZANATA

In terms of Freedom, out of all the localization platforms out there, and given what I've seen the past years, Zanata is developed in one of the least open ways. Which open-source projects are using Zanata? On zanata.org I can see a bunch of test projects, a few Red Hat documentation ones and JBoss (also Red Hat's). Which other projects have installed their own Zanata server and how many words are they translating?

I wonder why you say "least open ways"
Zanata is open source, and license under LGPLv2+.
The source code is visible in github, and patches and pull requests are welcome.

Bugs and enhancement requests can be filed and tracked in Red Hat Bugzilla, which is public facing.

You can even use your FAS account, Google, Yahoo, and other open ID to login.
Once you have registered, you can create projects freely, and that's why you see lots of test projects.

Pootle is a much more openly developed and widely accepted platform . The leads (Dwayne and Friedel) are true open-sourcers, their team is presenting in many major open-source conferences, they're trusted by many large open-source projects (Mozilla, Open Office), proprietary ones (Evernote, Grooveshark, Rdio) and their feature list is amazing. At FOSDEM I'll go out for drinks with Friedel.

When there are tools like Pootle out there, why on Earth would Fedora even consider Zanata? Where is the research and comparison between the options we have?

Zanata offers online realtime multiple users collaborate, Pootle does not.
Zanata offers FAS, JBossSSO, Google, Yahoo, and OpenID login; but Pootle does not.

With pootle, it seems like each organization need to create its own pootle instance.

With Zanata, you can either setup your own server, or use our public instances, where the translations can be shared by other projects and organizations.

--

Dimitris Glezos
Founder & CEO, Transifex

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Email: dchen at redhat.com

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199
Website: www.redhat.com

Red Hat, Inc.
Facebook: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat Japan | Red Hat Korea | JBoss APAC
Twitter: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat ANZ
LinkedIn: Red Hat APAC | JBoss APAC