Should we allow anonymous users to pull from Zanata?

Ding Yi Chen dchen at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 04:21:17 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> On 2014-07-25 17:04, Ding Yi Chen wrote:
> > At this stage, you need to register to be able to pull.
> > In other words, you need to provide zanata APIKEY in order to pull
> > or use FAS to login and download translation.
> >
> > However, if allow anonymous to pull, it will benefit:
> > 1. automatic build scripts: so developers can put their build scripts to
> > public git.
> > 2. Multilingual dictionary projects: so they can query zanata.
>
> Why can't they use API keys?

Short answer: Convenience, just like you don't need API or password to pull from GitHub, public website and anonymous FTP.

If FAS allows packages, projects or organizations to have their own account, they can surely create an account,
then issue the API key with the package.

Use case:
  John heard about Fedora Zanata and since Fedora contains high quality translation, he wants to create dictionary App
using Zanata as backend. So what API keys should he use? John is very unlikely to use his personal API key.

> > Cons:
> > We are not able to track the usage, therefore cannot allocate resource
> > accordingly.
>
> That's a big drawback.  We don't want to open the server to denial of
> service attacks.  Zanata's rate limiting is tied to API keys.

That's indeed the big concern.

Any way, I am Ok with both decision, as I do not intent to develop the dictionary project myself
in foreseeable future.

--
Ding-Yi Chen
Software Engineer
Email: dchen at redhat.com

Red Hat, Asia-Pacific Pty Ltd
Level 1, 193 North Quay
Brisbane 4000
Office: +61 7 3514 8100
Fax: +61 7 3514 8199
Website: www.redhat.com

Red Hat, Inc.
Facebook: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat Japan | Red Hat Korea | JBoss APAC
Twitter: Red Hat APAC | Red Hat ANZ
LinkedIn: Red Hat APAC | JBoss APAC