Cisco VPN Client 2.6.x

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Wed Apr 7 23:47:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 04:07, Christopher Ness wrote:
> This may be more a kernel hacker question, but I can't seem to get the
> Cisco VPN client (4.0.3b) distributed by my school to work nicely with
> my vanilla 2.6.4.  Compiling 2.6.5 right now, but I doubt I'll see
> anything different.

vpnclient connect myuni
not working for you eh?

Cisco VPN stuff don't seem to work with 2.6 the last time I checked -
which is why I keep handy a 2.4 line of kernels. Incidentally, I think
there is some beta test stuff available.... but it might not be for
public release

> I know others have had the same problems, from my google searches, but
> nobody seems to have a solution.

They are binary only drivers that will taint your kernel once loaded.
You can't load something compiled for 2.4.x into 2.6.x

> The school only distributes the encrypted VPN Group key, so I can't seem
> to use vpnc either.  :(

It's annoying I know. I run Linux on a PPC and its just as annyoing in
the sense that binary only drivers don't work for me
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/