user with root privilege

D@7@k|N& dataking at cox.net
Sun Apr 18 18:22:15 UTC 2004

Sounds like you have a couple of issue going on.  But let's start with the initial question.  You can add a user that is equivalent to root using the following command:

Useradd -c "Imitation Root" -d /home/root_user -m -k /etc/skel -s /bin/bash -u 0 -o -g root root_user

Or modify an existing user:

Usermod -g 0 -o root_user

This will however, prevent you from be able to audit that user correctly.  In syslog (auditlog), and most other auditing measures, this user will show up as root.  But if you don't care about user accounting (auditing), then you should be fine with the above statement(s).

As for your second issue, I have seen this happen once or twice, and it basically boils down to a one of a couple different things.  1)  There were actually updates available when your other user logged in. 2)  The up2date notifier needs a little bit of time (sometimes you must run u2date manually just long enough for the program to realize there aren't actually any updates) to change to the "normal" symbol.  3)  There are "ignored updates" which are available (and not previously downloaded), that don't register as ignored.  Manually reset those ignored packages to "ignored" and it should be OK.

HTH

- -
- -=D at 7@k|N&=-