Fedora Extras is extra

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Dec 1 05:25:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Erik Kjær Pedersen wrote:

> Tirsdag 30 november 2004 09:06 skrev Jeff Spaleta:
> > If an individual maintainer
> > can no longer package in a centralized build system... a volunteer
> > does not need to try to duplicate any of the build infrastructure to
> > come forward and maintain the packages that were orphaned.
>
> It is of course an interesting problem you mention here. 6 years ago we
> converted all our computers to redhat linux, we had a mixture of suns and
> intel machines. (I was chairman of a math dept. at the time) Then we were
> left high and dry because red hat no longer supported redhat on suns.

Well, it won't help now, but there's Aurora Linux and our packages are
build for Aurora/sparc. We also welcome anyone willing to build our SPEC
files for another distribution/architecture.

And one of the missing pieces currently is an easy tool that allows you to
kick off a build-environment and allows you to manually build a package.
But more importantly, kick off a build-environment that automatically
starts building a set of SPEC files and everything that gets updated in
subversion.

The goal is that organisations, individuals and vendors can rebuild
whatever matters to them and report failures and improvements to us
without the need of forking. Such a tool will more easily allow anyone to
create their own packages, verify integrity, with the proper QA tool
enforces policies and contribute a package that needs little QA and if
they like add their own branding.

Much like Gentoo, if you just want to experiment with building and are
interested in refining the packages from the base up.

Of course, it is far from complete currently.