Dual screen with NVIDIA

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Mon Dec 27 17:18:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-26-12 at 14:17 +0800, HaJo Schatz wrote:
> Vadim wrote:
> >
> > Globe Trotter wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking to buy a new microphone headset. Does anyone have any
> >> recommendations, for use with FC3 (and hopefully beyond)? Reading on
> >> the web,
> >> it seems that USB microphones record "pure" sound. How have people's
> >> experiences been? Any recommendations for/against?
> >>
> >> Thanks a million, and best wishes!
> >>

>  > I have Dell latitude D800 running FC3 at 1920 x 1200.  Every time I try
>  > to switch to external monitor I loose my primary display and no matter
>  > what I do i cannot get it back.  External display does not work either.
>  > I'm using NVIDIA 1.0-6629 driver with xorg-x11-6.8.1-12.FC3.21.  Anyone
>  > solved this?
>  > Thanks in advance.
>  > -V
>
> a) Don't top-post on this list!
> b) What does your question have to do with a USB-based headset? Don't
> hijack threads!

> c) You have to configure the DualHead/Twinview feature of your NVidia
> driver. See the driver's readme on how to modify the Xorg.conf correctly.
>
>From my experience you need to install the nVidia binary drivers,
then change the configuration to use the binary drivers.

In order get the binary drivers to load, edit rc.local and add :
modprobe nvidia

Reboot

Using the display configuration utilities setup dual head, then edit
the new configuration file to use the nVidia binary driver on both
screens.

Reboot

Now once you log in both displays will work.

Note: You don't really have to reboot to make the changes but
for novice users it is the easiest way to get everything the way
it needs to be set up in order to work.

I use this so I can watch TV full-screen on one monitor, while
working on the other.