How to get Gnome 2.4.2 with apt?

Colin Charles linux at bytebot.net
Thu Feb 5 15:18:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 01:53, Mike Cunningham wrote:

> I've just installed fc1 (defected from Suse for various reasons) and
> have setup apt with the default config supplied by ATrpms. Everything is
> working great except that I cannot work out what I need to have in my
> sources.list to pick up regular gnome updates (e.g. 2.4.2).

Regular updates are in the updates, or the updates-testing feeds.

> My understanding is that if I used nyquist's devel packages I could
> probably get 2.5.3 (and I may well do so on my development box) but I
> cannot figure out how to just get updates in the 2.4.x series. Or
> rather, I know how just not where from.

You can get 2.5.x from Rawhide as well (fedora development feeds).

> Alternatively, is 2.5.3 stable enough for non-critical use. i.e. as a
> day-to-day desktop on a development box?

It depends if you're willing to track bugs. I'm using it, mostly seems
to be okay.

> Am I right in thinking that I could get that from nyquist or would I
> need to compile it from the source? I don't really mind doing so but
> would rather avoid it if I can.

Never used nyquist's archives.
If you want to compile it, I recommend jhbuild. I recently wrote about
my experiences at
http://www.bytebot.net/blog/archives/2004/2/1/building-gnome-25
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/