Figuring out redhat-config-httpd

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Feb 10 17:14:07 UTC 2004

Hello, everyone:

Since my work still requires to use Windows, I am trying to use Fedora to
edit my website so I get some more exposure to it on the desktop rather
than just as a remote server. The purpose here is to set up a
self-contained environment where Apache, MySQL, etc. are all running
locally such that I can edit the site and actively test it without having
to be on the network.

Although I can configure httpd.conf by hand, I am deliberately sticking
with the redhat-config-httpd tool so that I can test it and provide
feedback. Having said that, this is the procedure I have followed with no
joy so far; I would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to what I may
have done wrong:

         1. Set up Apache to listen only on 127.0.0.1 port 80. (Possible
bug: display shows "127.0.0.180" instead of "127.0.0.1:80", but httpd.conf
is correctly written).

         2. Set up a line saying
"127.0.0.1   simpaticus.localdomain   simpaticus" in /etc/hosts.

         3. Verified that /etc/host.conf says "order hosts, dns" and
verified that there is no DNS server running on this machine.

         4. Set up a name virtual host in redhat-config-httpd pointing to
/home/rpaiz/www.simpaticus.com. I can provide details, but honestly don't
see where something could possibly be misconfigured. The named vhost is
"simpaticus".

Based on my past experience with Apache, this really ought to be a
no-brainer, but then again perhaps the brain is off. Entering "simpaticus"
or "simpaticus.localdomain" in the browser URL window always leads to a
"Forbidden: You do not have permission to see / on this machine" error. All
file permissions are set to 644 and directories are set to 755, with owner
rpaiz.rpaiz.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? Dohs?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz