Figuring out redhat-config-httpd

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 10 17:26:52 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb Rodolfo J. Paiz um 18:14:
> Hello, everyone:
>
> Since my work still requires to use Windows, I am trying to use Fedora to
> edit my website so I get some more exposure to it on the desktop rather
> than just as a remote server. The purpose here is to set up a
> self-contained environment where Apache, MySQL, etc. are all running
> locally such that I can edit the site and actively test it without having
> to be on the network.
>
> Although I can configure httpd.conf by hand, I am deliberately sticking
> with the redhat-config-httpd tool so that I can test it and provide
> feedback. Having said that, this is the procedure I have followed with no
> joy so far; I would appreciate any comments or suggestions as to what I may
> have done wrong:
>
>          1. Set up Apache to listen only on 127.0.0.1 port 80. (Possible
> bug: display shows "127.0.0.180" instead of "127.0.0.1:80", but httpd.conf
> is correctly written).
>
>          2. Set up a line saying
> "127.0.0.1   simpaticus.localdomain   simpaticus" in /etc/hosts.

This is a big no go! Be sure you have a line in /etc/hosts looking as:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost

Without that line localhost is unresolvable and causes a lot of pain.
Maybe that is already all what's causing you trouble?

>          3. Verified that /etc/host.conf says "order hosts, dns" and
> verified that there is no DNS server running on this machine.
>
>          4. Set up a name virtual host in redhat-config-httpd pointing to
> /home/rpaiz/www.simpaticus.com. I can provide details, but honestly don't
> see where something could possibly be misconfigured. The named vhost is
> "simpaticus".

Does the main server work? If it does the vhost configuration and where
you defined it would helpful for detecting the error. Is /home/rpaiz set
to chmod 711?

> Based on my past experience with Apache, this really ought to be a
> no-brainer, but then again perhaps the brain is off. Entering "simpaticus"
> or "simpaticus.localdomain" in the browser URL window always leads to a
> "Forbidden: You do not have permission to see / on this machine" error. All
> file permissions are set to 644 and directories are set to 755, with owner
> rpaiz.rpaiz.
>
> Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? Dohs?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 18:21:47 up 1 day, 21:04, load average: 0.05, 0.11, 0.12
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]