Upgraded kernel - much confusion!

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Feb 10 19:48:23 UTC 2004

Will Clifton wrote:

> 2. Kudzu keeps wanting to reconfigure my eth0 (Natsemi->Netgear FA311)
> everytime I reboot. I don't understand why, when I run ifconfig it's
> already there and configured. How do I get rid of this? Also, on my
> first boot of 2.6 I had an eth1 line in modprobe.conf. I deleted it
> because I only have one NIC, why was the eth1 entry there and should I
> have not deleted it?

I had the same problem when I tried the 2.6 development kernel on a few
of my servers. kudzu will try to delete eth0 and create an eth1, even
though the system claims that it has an eth0 and not an eth1. (In my
case it tried to delete eth0 and eth1 and create eth2 and eth3).

I ignored the problem by turning off kudzu, but never figured out what
else to update such that kudzu would not do this.