Upgraded kernel - much confusion!

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Feb 10 20:11:07 UTC 2004

> Will Clifton wrote:
>
>> 2. Kudzu keeps wanting to reconfigure my eth0 (Natsemi->Netgear FA311)
>> everytime I reboot. I don't understand why, when I run ifconfig it's
>> already there and configured. How do I get rid of this? Also, on my
>> first boot of 2.6 I had an eth1 line in modprobe.conf. I deleted it
>> because I only have one NIC, why was the eth1 entry there and should I
>> have not deleted it?
>
> I had the same problem when I tried the 2.6 development kernel on a few
> of my servers. kudzu will try to delete eth0 and create an eth1, even
> though the system claims that it has an eth0 and not an eth1. (In my
> case it tried to delete eth0 and eth1 and create eth2 and eth3).
>
> I ignored the problem by turning off kudzu, but never figured out what
> else to update such that kudzu would not do this.

I have internal Ethernet and CardBus 802.11b interfaces that 2.4 kernels
know as eth0 and eth1. The 2.6 kernels I've tried refer to them as eth1
and eth2.

Dumb question: Do 2.6 kernels start all sequential device numbering with
"1" rather than "0"? Gadzooks! What partition would that make /dev/hda1 ??
;-P

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL