ddclient is definitely not updating my dynamic IP address

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 6 05:47:06 UTC 2004

Mike Chambers wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 18:30 -0700, Barry Yu wrote:
>

>>After 5 days with the ddclient installed and configured, today I noticed
>>that my internet IP address has changed, but the ddclient is not
>>updating this change into my account in dyndns.org.
>>The rpm package I downloaded is from dyndns.org.
>>I also tried yum install ddclient from freshrpms.
>>But both packages installation results are the same: Getting this
>>message from the mail from ddclient to root : " Caught SIGTERM ;  exiting ".
>>My fc2 is behide a Linksys router BEFW11s4 ver.2 - Never updated bios.
>>May be I really don't know how to configured the /etc/ddclient.conf
>>correctly, below is the content of it and see if any one can help ;
>>

>>#fw-login=admin,             fw-password=XXXXXX        # FW login and
>>password
>>

>You need to uncomment the above line and put in your password.
>

>>#
>>## To obtain an IP address from FW status page (using fw-login, fw-password)
>>#use=fw, fw=192.168.1.254/status.htm, fw-skip='IP Address' # found after
>>IP Address
>>

>You need to also uncomment the above line and change the fw= line to the
>ip/address to the status page on your linksys router.  As in mine is
>something like this...
>
>## To obtain an IP address from FW status page (using fw-login, fw-
>password)
>use=fw, fw=192.168.1.1/RouterStatus.htm, fw-skip='IP Address' # found
>after IP Address
>
>You also may need to disable ecn in the kernel by adding the following
>line to your /etc/sysctl.conf file..
>
>net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0
>
>May or may not need to reboot after adding that line (think there is a
>command you can run to take affect without rebooting).

When I made change as you mentioned above and particularly like this ;

use=fw, fw=192.168.1.1/Status.htm, fw-skip='IP Address' # found
after IP Address

The ddclient this time passed out the message :

SUCCESS:  updating MyAccountName.dyndns.org: good: IP address set to

192.168.1.1.
This time it updated the IP address database record with my router's LAN
IP address 192.168.1.1 instead of taking the WAN IP address. So what did
I miss?