Red Carpet available for FC2 -- please try it out

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Jul 15 15:11:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 15:36, Gordon Keehn wrote:

>     Of course, the next release will be FC3, so hopefully it'll be Red
> Carpet for FC3 that ships...

What I meant was that with the next release of rcd/rug/red-carpet they
hope to add FC2 as one of the supported distros. As FC3 is not out yet
there is no information as to whether they intend to support it or not
(I suspect that they will, because Ximian/Novell want people to try out
Mono, and Red Carpet is the tool that they intend people to use to
install Mono, although you can of course install it in other ways too).

>     I've been using synaptic / apt-get for some time and I'm quite happy
> with the combination.  How does Red Carpet compare with regard to, for
> example, resolving dependencies, managing kernel updates, manually
> selecting packages to install or update through the GUI?

Red Carpet manages all of the above except kernel updates -- although in
this release of Red Carpet I see a kernel channel has been added. I'll
email the red-carpet list and ask them if kernel updating has been added
to the list of capabilities. Try Red Carpet out and see for yourself.
Personally, I think the GUI is the best I've used. It also allows you to
install from a file (i.e. a downloaded RPM, or one you've built
yourself) and from a URL and will attempt all dependency resolutions for
you, and you can also mount a directory as a channel. Try it out! You
can always just uninstall it if you don't like it. I think the ability
to search and browse repositories you aren't subscribed to is a
genuinely useful feature that I don't think other tools like synaptic or
yumi have. I also think the GUI is very well designed.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com