serving pop3

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Sun Jul 18 16:15:37 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:58:55 -0400, "Jonathan T. Steadman"
<fedoracore at stny.rr.com> wrote:

>could someone point me in the right direction here, I want to give a
>whack a running a pop3 server, ipop3 looks like what I want to run it,
>but if anyone has a better suggestion let me know.  I guess my question
>is how do I get this up and running?  I read some tutorial on how to do
>it but with no luck, does anyone know of a good one I can read up on?  I
>really appreciate the help I have received using this mailing list sure
>hope I can repay the favor someday.

Use the installed Dovecot.  You have to enable it via chkconfig

  chkconfig --level 345 dovecot on

and edit /etc/dovecot.conf to (1) enable the POP3 listener and (2) describe
how your users are to login.

Once that's done, /sbin/service dovecot start
--
   Steve