up2date defaults to skipping kernel updates

Jay Lee jlee at pbu.edu
Tue Jul 27 21:42:49 UTC 2004

I'm curious why up2date still skips all kernel* rpms from installation by
default.  I realize that installing a new kernel RPM is a big deal but the
kernel is also by it's nature a very important package to have up to date
for security and stability purposes.  It would seem to me that removing it
from the skiplist in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date and keeping it in the
"install not update" list by default would make Fedora somewhat more
secure (especially for those users who are clueless about this).  Also,
I've noticed that when kernels are installed, not updated, grub.conf
continues to use the old kernel as the default boot option, maybe this
should be changed to?

Jay
--
Jay Lee