Fedora Core 2 freeze after several minutes/hours

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 28 23:26:01 UTC 2004

e98cuenc at free.fr wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running FC2 on a PIII 733Mhz with a Powercolor graphic card (powered by an
> ATI 7500).
>
> After a few (1-2) hours of use, it stops dead for no obvious reason (doing
> nothing CPU intensive, sometimes just reading a local html page with mozilla).
>
> Everything is freezed, including the mouse. I've reproduced the same problem
> with another card (a nvidia GeForce 2).
>
> It doesn't seems to happen when I don't run X (that's why I suspected the
> graphic card...), but I have still not remained for hours on without X, so I
> don't know for sure.
>
> Does anybody have any hints about what can I try to get some info about this
> freeze?
>
> Cheers,

Old message but did a search on mtrr because of a response on an X
problem related to initial startup of X when computer is freshly booted.

I believe that the search brought up how to set values there. A modified
search brings up these leads.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=mtrr+and+ati+7500+video&btnG=Search

In regards to the other computer that seems to lockup on me w/ X running
for about 2 hrs. I left the computer run overnight without X. Then after
I did some CLI usage for awhile, I started X and picked the electronics
circuit screensaver. It ran without failure for over 3 hours. I left X
running overnight, so I will know tomorrow if it is tickled by a certain
screensaver.

Good luck, two hours before crashing X is not very practical.

Jim
--
"Cable is not a luxury, since many areas have poor TV reception."
-- The mayor of Tucson, Arizona, 1989