text login

Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com Rafiq_Maniar at Dell.com
Thu Jul 29 17:02:07 UTC 2004

In /etc/inittab you should have the following line(s):

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1

The 2nd field there lists the runlevels that mingetty (the login program) should run in. I'm guessing you're missing '5' there.

Rafiq

-----Original Message-----
From: Sameer Kamat [mailto:sameer at unitrends.com]
Sent: 29 July 2004 17:57
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: text login

Hi
    I have the default in inittab to run at  5(GUI mode). It works fine, but
if I hit CTRL+ALT+F1 I do
not see anything but a black screen. If I set the inittab default to
runlevel 3,
then I do get to a text login screen, however when I run startx to get to
the GUI I lose the text console.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should be doing to fix this ?

Thanks,
Sameer Kamat
Unitrends Software Corporation
sameer at unitrends.com