Why FC-2?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Mar 10 15:01:05 UTC 2004

Elliot Lee wrote:

> SELinux and the 2.6 kernel mean that there are a lot of misc fixups that
> need to be done while upgrading via anaconda.

I'm running 2.6.3 under Fedora-1,
and didn't find any need for "a lot of misc fixups".
I just compiled the vanilla kernel.
(I've never understood why this is not standard.
I don't particularly want to use someone else's choice of modules.)

Admittedly I had to compile module-init-tools,
but as far as I could see there isn't a Fedora RPM for this anyway.

I can see that a new distribution is sometimes essential,
eg if there is an incompatible change in the C library.
As the person who asked the original question,
I don't object to new distributions --
I was just wondering why the powers-that-be go to so much trouble
when as far as I can see it is quite unnecessary.

I'll upgrade to FC-2 when it comes out,
but it seems this will just be like a rather large up2date.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366