kudzu removes printer config if printer offline on boot

Chris Hewitt fedlist at manordat.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 08:53:18 UTC 2004

Matt H. wrote:

>Hi guys,
>As I mentioned in a recent post, I was having troubles getting my Canon
>BJC-255SP printer to work. The problem was finally resolved after kudzu
>finally detected it properly.
>
>I have now noticed a behaviour which I'm not sure is normal so I thought
>I'd consult the list. Now, on boot-up, if the printer is off, kudzu will
>run and inform me that the printer has been removed and provides
>me with the standard keep config, remove, do nothing options. However, if
>the printer is on when the system boots, kudzu realises a printer is
>attached or will configure the newly added printer if the config had been
>removed on a previous boot.
>
>So, is this normal for kudzu to only detect the printer if it's turned on
>while the system boots, or is there a problem somewhere in my
>configuration that will fix this?
>Thanks,

Mine is a different printer (Epson Color Stylus 900) but I chose the "Do
Nothing" option. This means that whether the printer is on or not when I
boot up the computer, kudzu will not complain. I think that this is the
option that should be taken in our case.

If the configuration has been removed by selecting the "remove" option,
then it seems reasonable to me for kudzu to act like the printer was
never there but now a new printer has been connected.

HTH
Chris