Deploying Red Hat Workstations

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Tue Mar 16 17:48:44 UTC 2004

We're in the process of deploying about 200 Fedora (or RHEL) workstations
out to our remote offices scattered across the US.  I need a way that I
can easily make changes to the workstations all at once.  I've been
thinking of a hack that I would write (in Perl) that would go something
like this...

1) each workstation would execute a cron job daily that would download a
script from our central server each day
2) that script would be executed by another cron job a few minutes later.
 This script will contain any changes that I need to make.   If there
aren't any updates for the day, then the script will be blank that day.

Will this work?  There has to be something better than this out there.
What do you guys do in this situation?   For example, we've deployed about
25 workstations out so far, but now I need to change this Perl script on
each one of the machines.  What is the easiest way to push this script out
besides SCP'ing it to each one individually.

Thanks,
Chris