single linux box on dsl?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Thu May 13 23:32:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Thanks to all of you... this has been a very educational thread for me. Can
> someone point me to a beginner's guide to X Forwarding, particularly
> through SSH? I keep hearing that X can display the results/output of a
> program on another machine, and that this can be tunneled through SSH.
> Great, fine, I get it... and I'd *love* to do it. Yet I can't seem to find
> a HOWTO that will explain the how and the why to me...
>
> An FM I can R, please?

Can't say I know of a good doc to read. I'm sure googling (with the
correct keywords) will point to some useful info.

I guess the thing to understand here is PortForwarding feature in ssh.
X11Forwarding is nothing but PortForwarding - with a little bit extra
for X protocol to work with it (xauth ..).

With regards to usage - the simplest thing is:

- make sure DISPLAY is set correctly
echo $DISPLAY
xterm &
- connect to remove machine via ssh with X11Forwarding
ssh -X remotemachine

- now on the remote machine - notice the funky display
echo $DISPLAY

- any X-applications started on this machine will now get forwarded
through the ssh-x-display back to the console-X via ssh.

xterm &

Satish