iiim problems in FC2

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Sun May 23 12:10:01 UTC 2004

>>>>> "ry" == ryuhei yokokawa <ryuheixys at fastmail.fm> writes:

    ry> On Tue, 18 May 2004 12:21:59 -1000, "Warren Togami"
    ry> <wtogami at redhat.com> said:

    >> IIIMF is the next generation unified framework for
    >> improved CJK input in all of our future software.
    >> During the FC2 and FC3 cycle we need user reports
    >> from people like you, to know exactly what you
    >> dislike about its function and Look & Feel.  With
    >> your help, we will be able to do several updates to
    >> IIIMF and related tools during the FC2 cycle to make
    >> it better suit your needs.

Yes, we would value feedback and in particular bug reports
in Bugzilla relating to IIIMF problems and rfe's.  Also
fedora-i18n-list and #fedora-i18n are good places for
discussing the move to IIIMF and IM issues in general.

    >> The current FC development schedule has XIM for
    >> removal by FC3, so it is imperative that you complain
    >> LOUD and HARD now.

That is not quite true actually: the old XIM pkgs have only
been marked as being deprecated.  This is a warning that
they may be removed one day, but we're not planning to do
that in the FC3 time-framework.  Perhaps for FC4 or even
FC5...  But now is a good time to start complaining or
raising worries and issues related to this in general.

Quoting the release notes:

|   The following packages have been deprecated, and may be removed
|   from a future release of Fedora Core:

It does not say that all the deprecated packages will
actually be removed from FC3.  (Having said that some of the
other deprecated packages may in fact disappear from FC3,
but that is not expected to happen for the various XIM
clients at least.)

Hope that helps,

Jens
--