Problems modifying / adding users groups

Burke, Dan dburke at techteam.com
Thu Nov 18 18:23:02 UTC 2004

> On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 08:32 -0500, Burke, Dan wrote:
> > Sounds reasonable.
>
>I don't know, I thought "disable it if you are not aware of the
>implications" was kinda harsh.

>Anyway, I ran into this because I had my root on reiserfs, which
doesn't
>support some features that selinux needs.  You can reinstall with your
>root on xfs or ext3, or you can disable selinux.  I think you've
covered
>the config-file bases for disabling it; to turn it off without
rebooting
>there's an entry in the fedora selinux faq, suprisingly enough:
>http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc3/index.html#id3522705

Weird, I did "setenforce 0", it didn't work.  Logged out and back in,
did it again, and it worked.  I don't really understand selinux because
I admit I haven't taken the time to learn about it.  Honestly though, I
don't see any value for it in my work environment right now, so it could
be a while before I have the time to look into it.

The next question I have is, why is this the only box that seems to have
it enabled?  I've loaded many Core 2 boxes these last few months, and
not had this problem before.  Hm, this one is the only one that was an
upgrade from C1, instead of a fresh reload, I wonder if that is a
factor.

Thanks for the help.

Dan.

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential
and intended solely for the person or organization
to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged
and confidential information and if you are not the
intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or
take any action in reliance on it. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender as soon as possible and delete the e-mail
message and any attachment(s).

This message has been scanned for viruses
by TechTeam's email gateway.