Tripwire Update Error(gedit)

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Fri Nov 19 18:31:02 UTC 2004

Fedora Core 2

Hi All,

am studying tripwire. Created a perl script/customized tripwire policy
file(successfully). Then inited tripwire(tripwire --init) after creating the
database/passphrases, successfully. Then created a script to run a cron
job(successfully tested).  I then attempted to update the database so the
cron job wouldn't be flaged. But, when executing this command:
tripwire --update --visual gedit --twrfile [filepath] I get the following
error messages,

Xlib:connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib:no protocol specified

(gedit 14423):Gtk-WARNING**:cannot open display
Interactive update failed
###Error:Editor could not be launched
###gedit
###exiting...

Any ideas..? I notice that attempting to open the report file with gedit
also fails. Looking forward to learning the answer to this 1. Cheers.

P.S. If I leave out the --visual gedit part, it opens within the terminal,
and I'm at a lost of how to exit it from that point, after removing the x
from whatever I don't want updated. Chers, again.

Mark Sargent.