pppd on-demand wakes for no reason.

Bill Somerville bill at classdesign.com
Sun Nov 21 23:42:56 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 20.11.2004 schrieb Bill Somerville um 2:12:
>

>>Thanks for that. Got to the bottom of this with logging on nameserver.
>>It appears that ssh tries IPv6 as well as IPv4 and the AAAA lookup is
>>being forwarded by our local nameserver, hence the wake up of pppd.
>>
>>I know that I can rebuild ssh so that it only tries IPv4. But is there
>>an easy way of setting up the local nameserver so that it doesn't
>>forward the AAAA lookup?
>

>>Bill Somerville
>

> Do you use IPv6? Maybe not. The only possibility to prevent IPv6 queries
> is to disable IPv6 on the participant hosts. You can do so by adding
>
> install ipv6 /bin/true
>
> to the /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> As an alternate
>
> alias net-pf-10 off
> alias ipv6 off
>
> are valid entries too. The quickest way would be a reboot to prevent the
> module loading, as unloading the ipv6 module is not that easy due to
> dependencies by other modules.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I didn't want to lose IPv6 (even
though I hadn't enabled it so far!) so I added the IPv6 stuff to the
nameserver and enabled dual stacks on all the machines.

It took a while to sort it all out and I wouldn't recommend it unless
you have a need to use/test an IPv6 client or server. Still it's nearly
all sysconfig parameter changes and it seems to work OK now including
the auto 6to4 tunneling stuff at the gateway/router/firewall.

> Alexander

Bill Somerville