FC3 / Adaptec SCSI RAID (dpt_i2o)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Nov 24 02:33:29 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Jason Van Patten um 1:45:

> I'm trying to install FC3 on my machines equipped with Adaptec's SCSI
> zero-slot RAID controllers.  Typically, that requires the dpt_i2o
> module, which apparently isn't available for the FC3 install kernel.
>
> Since I have FC3 installed on a laptop, I used that to build the
> dpt_i2o.ko module.  I transfered it to a CD, which I loaded into the 2nd
> CDROM on my machine.  When Fedora's installer asked for "other drivers"
> I told it to use /dev/hdb.  It didn't find anything.
>
> Do I need more than just the dpt_i2o.ko file on the CD?  Can I even use
> a CD as a "driver disk?"  I don't have a floppy drive installed in the
> machine.

Yes, simply copying the module onto an empty floppy does not make it a
driver disk.

> jas

See following howto for instruction on how to build a driver disk:

http://www.linuxsa.org.au/pipermail/linuxsa/2001-June/030546.html
http://faq.linux.cz/pracovni/driver-disk-howto

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 03:33:21 up 3 days, 22:20, load average: 0.81, 0.94, 0.61