SpeedTouch 330 USB DSL kernel module

Bill Somerville bill at classdesign.com
Wed Nov 24 14:54:03 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mi, den 24.11.2004 schrieb Bill Somerville um 8:23:
>

>>The 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel has a driver module 'speedtch.ko', which is for
>>a SpeedTouch 330 USB xDSL modem, It tries to load a frimware file from
>>somewhere, does anyone know where the firmware file should be put. Also
>>is their any documentation available from the web as I don't have the
>>bandwidth to download the kernel source rpm.
>>
>>Bill Somerville
>

> FC2: /etc/firmware/
> FC3: /lib/firmware/

This looks interesting, where did you get this info and does it tell you
what the file name(s) should be?

> http://www.4p8.com/eric.brasseur/fc2_speedtouch_usb.html

OK, but this info is about a user mode driver. Is the kernel mode driver
that has turned up in 2.6.9 broken?

There seems to be many different setup scripts and how-to pages for this
modem. Plus loads of questions out there.

I now have the kernel source package and find that the config option for
the SpeedTouch driver is missing even though the source is there. So I'm
wondering how the speedtch.ko that ships with the 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel
got there!

I currently have the modem working (sometimes) with a user mode driver,
but the kernel mode driver seems to try and load the firmware as well
but isn't very helpful with error messages.

> Alexander

Bill Somerville