Why no /proc/config.gz on FC-3 kernel?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sun Nov 28 00:58:44 UTC 2004

Dave Jones wrote:

>  > I still think it would be better to follow the Linux standard,
>  > as decided presumably by Linus Torvalds,
>  > with config.gz accessible in /proc .
>
> Just because something gets merged into Linus' kernel, does not
> mean that it is mandated as some 'standard'. If this were true
> we'd all be using horrors like devfs now.

Hasn't devfs been replaced by udev?

> Contrary to popular opinion, sometimes, Linus gets things wrong.

I don't think Torvalds is either right or wrong in this case.
/boot and /proc seem to me equally good places to store the config file.
But that being so, I don't see the point of Fedora doing things differently.

> http://www.google.com/search?q=fedora+config.gz
> First hit is an archive of the previous discussion.

Remember that I didn't know there had been a previous discussion.
I did in fact google, IIRC, for "fedora kernel config"
but didn't light on the discussion you are referring to.
However, I didn't search very far.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366