Disk Partiotioning

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Nov 28 03:13:29 UTC 2004

Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> C. Linus Hicks wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 10:47 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>>

>>> That was my second mistake ;-) I didn't use LVM... The way I saw it
>>> is, since I only have one HD, why should I need LVM? Now, from your
>>> post, it seems that LVM has advantages even for single HD, is that
>>> right?
>>>
>>> By the way, since I didn't use LVM, and wat to increase the size of /
>>> (root) taking space from /home, am I just screwed?
>>>

>> Not necessarilly, it depends mostly on your partition layout. What
>> partitions have you defined - please give device (disk) names and mount
>> points.
>>
>> If you are in a situation where you can either temporarily delete a
>> partition after having backed it up, or shrink an existing one to create
>> a new one, then you should have some options available to you.
>>
>> Do a "man resize2fs" and read that.
>>

> Sorry, I just found a way to get the info. Here is the result of df -h:
> /dev/sda3             4.9G  4.2G  427M  91% /
> /dev/sda1              99M   17M   78M  18% /boot
> none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda2              12G  683M   11G   7% /home

Instead of "df -h", "fdisk -l" would have been more useful.  We want to
see the actual partition layout of the partition table....

> What I'd like to do is to take a couple of Gigs from /home and put them
> into / (root). I believe I can backup and erase /home without problems,
> but how can I put this space into root?

*IF* sda2 and sda3 are contiguous in the partition table (probably, but
not guarenteed without looking at the actual allocation info) you might
be able to resize(move) sda3 to the upper regions, re-size the partition
sda3, then merge the new space onto the end of sda2.  If you are lucky,
you should then be able to expand sda2 into the re-claimed space.  Not
easy, but it should be straightforward if you know the right commands.
If you have no experience doing this, I'd heartily recommend backing up
the data in both sda2 & sda3 before attempting this for a first time!

> Thanks

Good Luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings