linksys kvm usb ps2 adaptors and wild mouse pointer

John McBride jmcbride at ccis.com
Sun Sep 12 03:56:04 UTC 2004

Some of our kvms, notably linksys, started having real problems with FC2
as soon as people started plugging in wireless mice (usually the
Microsoft Explorer  wireless mouse). They are using the little usb to
ps2 adapters to do this. The mouse just goes crazy in console/gpm
(runlevel 3) or X, jumping all over the screen, issuing wild text
commands to the command prompt, etc.

I found the fix over on linuxquestions.org. There is a kernel option to
add to /etc/grub.conf:
psmouse.proto=imps
(also "bare" or "exps", possibly others).

 From what I can see:
"bare" provides a generic 2 button mouse, with 3rd button emulation.
"imps" lets the explorer wheel act like a third button.
"exps" should enable the wheel, but actually left the thing hosed (as
before).

On a couple machines, after adding this boot option, I had to run
system-config-mouse to set up the mouse, then move the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf and run system-config-display under X to get
everything cleaned up. Console mode (runlevel 3) was very useful for
testing though.

While I was fooling around with the boot options on one FC2 box, I used
Windows 2K on another port. This was a little interesting--the green
light on the wireless mouse receiver blinks when changing ports, and
also when W2K was just about to launch the greeter, during bootup, right
when the display blanks. They are resetting the mouse, I think, while
going graphical.

I've noticed the green light blinks when linux boots, once, but very
early on. Right around the first ACPI probes. The mouse driver must be
setting up for "exps" and that's borked somehow--exps breaks the
explorer mouse, at least with this hardware configuration. If the mouse
is plugged directly into the ps2 port, it is fine, so it's a
combination/stack of hw causing this.

Restarting gpm does not blink the light, and I didn't see it blink while
starting or running X either. I wonder...is there a way to reset the
mouse in FC2, such that the light blinks? I ask because after switching
between ports for 20 minutes or so, trying to debug this while doing web
searches, I saw the mouse freeze under W2K for a second, and then then
the receiver light blinked. Could it be that somehow MS is detecting
that the mouse is haywire, freezing the cursor by ignoring it, and then
resetting the mouse? What an awful thing for software to go through, but
with this particular hw stack maybe such a thing is necessary?

Regards,
John