Linux text editors

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 00:41:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 10:54, Neil Cherry wrote:
> Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>
> First let me say that I've been using emacs since 1978 so I'm use to
> using it (I don't need to think about the key bindings I just type the keys).

I used emacs on a wide variety of systems many years ago.  At the time
it was the closest to a universal editor for the different systems I was
using back then.

Over the years however I have found vi to be available on virtually all
systems now as a standard editor.  Trying to get emacs installed on a
system to do some simple editing was to much of a bother.  And since vi
is on most systems by default it was easier to use that.

I still miss emacs occasionally, could do some very complex macros with
it very easily.

YMMV.  :)

--
Scot L. Harris