Emacs nostalgia (was: Linux text editors)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Fri Sep 17 00:21:41 UTC 2004

--On Thursday, September 16, 2004 2:33 PM -0500 Fritz Whittington
<f.whittington at att.net> wrote:

> My experience was at the opposite end.  I first learned emacs on a Lisp
> Machine, using the so-called space-cadet keyboard.
> (ctrl-meta-hyper-super-cokebottle!).  But it didn't have a single Help
> key....

I remember walking by the Lisp Machine company's office when I went from
MIT towards Hahvahd Square (often to go to the arcade up there). They had a
big cons cell as a logo on the front of the building. Alas, I never got to
play with one, and I've only seen photos of the legendary keyboard.

I learned Emacs on a Tops-20 timesharing system running on a PDP-10. I
think it was also available for Multics (predecessor to Unix). The PDP-10
had a 36-bit word and was NOT byte-based. Characters were often stored as 4
9-bit values to a word, so it was natural to store extra "bucky" bits like
Ctrl and Meta in the extra bits.