One /home/username shared amongst several Fedora instances using external HD

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 19 03:14:04 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 21:49, Markus Huber wrote:
> CB schrieb:
>
> > Sorry, yes, I meant mounting *as* /home/username, so not only my docs
> > but also all the config  directories (/home/.*) get shared between the
> > machines (not simultaneously, of course). Any idea why mounting an
> > external drive as /home/username isn't possible?
>
> Maybe it is possible. I suppose during installation Fedora has to
> recognize the external disk so that it can get the mountpoint /home. If
> that is possible, then there is no problem using an external drive as
> /home directory.
>
> What I am absolutely not sure about, if it is possible to change the
> mountpoint /home on a running system. Somebody else have to help about that.
>
> I am thinking of changing the /home directory to another partition, but
> yet have not found a solution how to do it on a running system, so I
> personally would be interested in expert answer on that as well.
>
> Regards
> Markus

Just mount the external drive as username under the /home directory.
Don't replace the entire /home directory/file system.

You may also want to look at NIS+.  I have not done this before but I
seem to remember that with NIS+ when you log into a system you could
have it use NFS to mount your home directory on any system you log
into.  Lookup the NIS automount options for doing this.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

We give advice, but we cannot give the wisdom to profit by it.
		-- La Rochefoucauld