'Johnny Appleseed' with FC2

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sat Sep 25 10:57:00 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 15:27, Stuart Sears wrote:

> > email certs in what context?  You can sign you messages no problem
> > regardless of what you IP is.  But I some how suspect that is not what
> > you are asking.
> are you possibly referring to authenticated SMTP - using client/server certs
> to authenticate with TLS?
> you can install client certificates on any machine, and they don't necessarily
> have to have anything to do with the machine's IP (which can make them
> risky). I have done this with postfix (which makes things very easy) as my
> main work machine is  a laptop which will have a different IP at each of the
> many sites I send mail from.
> You can then allow only authenticated hosts to relay through your server.

    Yeah; my email server has SMTP AUTH enabled, and relays have to have
a password to send mail.  I was curious as to what I'd have to do (if
anything) to get the nightly message like LogWatch to show up, if I
don't necessarily have a static IP.  I suppose I could just let'em use
another password and not worry about it, aye?

    But since I have a howto on this, and think I should learn to do
this anyway, I'll probably make certs for each, just to be complete...

    Thanks!

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller