backup a write-protected CD in Linux

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Sep 26 00:12:42 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-25 at 11:27, YigalB wrote:
> I have a game which my kids love very much, run on XP. The company
> which made this CD is no longer alive, and the CD starts to be in bed
> shape – so I must back it up – the sooner is better.
>

> Is there a SW to do it under Fedora core? I know some utils under XP
> (clone CD, Nero etc).

use k3b or scdroast to copy the CD.
an alternative is to use the manual 2 step process

# dd if=/dev/cdrom of=filename.iso

then you will have an image of the cd that cam be burnt to the new cd
with cdrecord from the command line or by using xcdroast or k3b as well.

> Oh yea – one more thing – the CD is protected –  I guess it has some
> “bad sectors” or similar.

If it has some version of the copy protection stuff you may be out of
luck. I don't know what is available for that on Linux and only some can
do it on Windows.

In the past I have used clonecd on windows to make copies of some
things, but the later versions seem to have been modified to not copy
the protection stuff.