why not FC3 have dosutils directory?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Apr 5 16:21:48 UTC 2005

xthua wrote:
> hi everyone: fedora-list-request
>     In our Univ,many people choose to install Fedora Core from harddisk,and need dosutils directory for boot installion. i'm puzzled with the disappearness of dosutils in the series after FC1.
>
>     would anyone like to give some explaination?

FC2 and FC3 are based on the 2.6 kernel, which will not conveniently fit
on a floppy disk. So installation from floppy disk is no longer
supported. Since the purpose of the dosutils utilities was to write the
installer floppy disk images, there is no longer any point including them.

The best way to install FC2 or FC3 will depend on the hardware you have,
what is already installed on the computer (if anything), and what
devices the computer can boot from.

Paul.