Cannot access to previous Linux partition

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 03:55:11 UTC 2005

On 8/27/05, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 04:20 +0200, Thomas Springer wrote:
> > First advice i can give is to mount the same boot partition on
> > both distris.
>
> That might have its own problems.  On one of my multi-boot test system,
> they were all on different drives, with their own boot partitions.
> After an update, I just copied and pasted grub.conf entries from one
> partition's files to the other's, with suitable modifications.

Hold on there.  Probably one of the easiest ways to multi-boot is to
let each operating system take care of booting itself.  You will need
one system to be the "master" and chainload to all of the others.  So,
if you put Fedora's GRUB on the MBR of the primary boot drive (such
that it is what boots), you then have a chainloader entry for Windows
and your Mandriva entry looks like:
title Mandriva
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

You then install Mandriva's boot loader to the boot partition of the
disk it is on (rather than the MBR).  You have to go through two menus
sometimes, but kernel updates just work.  You do not have to manually
update any grub.conf files or anything.  It works quite nicely.

Jonathan