Complaints about using this list...

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 00:33:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 17:25 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> I've got a couple complaints about using this list.  I'm looking for
> suggestions to improve my experience with it.
>
> a) I can't seem to get searches to find topics that I know are in the
> lists.  I don't have an example off the top of my head, but it would
> save me a ton of time if I could do a good advanced search on these
> archives, something like being able to specify multiple keywords in the
> subject or in the body, that sort of thing.
>
> b) I get the list summary, but it isn't convenient to reply to the posts
> like that.  I can't reply on the list website itself and I don't want to
> get the list posts as individual emails because the volume is too high.
>
> I find reply to posts from the list summary to be slow because you have
> to manually edit the subject and if you don't get it right you've just
> created a new topic.  I think I wish that this list (and others) were a
> regular usenet newsgroup, but I understand that would have some
> drawbacks too.
>
> How is everyone else working with this list ?
>
> I'm beginning to think that I should configure evolution to sort my
> emails into topics and get the whole list as individual posts.  I could
> then search them from within evolution and I could easily reply to
> them.
>
> --
> Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.

Why not do what I did--get a Gmail account? Gmail will store up to one
gigabyte of mail, and sort it into "conversations" by the subject
header. So you make up your mind how many conversations you want to
store, and how far back, and what portion of your storage you want to
occupy. I found it an excellent way to determine, for example, that an
issue I had raised first came up a week ago.
--
Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com>