Display problem HP zt1180

Kim Lux lux at diesel-research.com
Thu Jan 6 18:25:39 UTC 2005

I don't think you've got the right driver for your card as evidenced by
xvidtune not working properly.

Is there any evidence of an incorrect driver is dmesg or your syslogs ?

We get the same thing with nvidia drivers.  If one selects an nvidia
driver (or Linux sets it for you during trying to configure xorg.conf)
from system-config-display, it will run (ie produce video out), but it
won't produce the right resolutions, or allow dual monitors or use the
settings in xorg.conf.  The card ends up operating in vesa mode.

I suspect your card is operating in vesa mode.

I don't know anything about savage video cards.  Have you googled for
your card type ?

On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 12:02 -0600, Will Starck wrote:
> Hardware browser indentifies the card as
>
> S3 Inc. 86C380 [ProSavage DDR K4M266]
>
> and the driver it has listed is
>
> S3 ProSavage PN133 which I think is a mismatch.
>
> I tried xvidtune and gtf.
>
> xvidtune - I can slightly change how large the displayed area is and
> when I mouse around it moves the desktop around to show me the whole
> thing, but the physical size of the desktop does not change. I'm not
> sure exactly what I'm doing though.
>
> gtf - does not appear to make any difference.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks....
>
> Will
>
> which I do not see listed in the
>

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:02:12 -0700, Kim Lux wrote:
> >
> > I wouldn't sell the laptop.  I'm certain you can get the display working
> > properly.  A bunch of us have zd7000 with a non standard NVidia card and
> > linux works great on it. (Dual monitors none the less.)
> >
> > I'd check and double check your sync values.
> >
> > You might try using xvidtune and gtf.
> >
> > Question: are you manually editing your xorg.conf file or are you using
> > system-config-display ?  If your video card is correctly identified, you
> > should be able to use the latter.  BTW: What does hwbrowser or
> > infocenter report your card as and does it match what ends up in
> > xorg.conf ?
> >
> > I think 1400x1050 is available under generic LCDs in system-config-
> > display.
> >

> > --
> > Kim Lux,  Diesel Research Inc.
> >

> > --