Howto for SIS 180 SATA RAID with Fedora Core 3

Craig Robinson craig.robinson at epa.qld.gov.au
Thu Jan 6 22:40:00 UTC 2005

Hi Experts,

I'm new to the world of RAID on Linux, so please bear with me. My config is:

- ASUS P4R800-V mobo, with SIS 180 SATA Raid Controller onboard
- 2 x 80Gb Seagate NCQ SATA Drives

I have just acquired Fedora core 3, and tried to install last night for the first time (my installation method was "graphical"). It didn't seem to detect my RAID setup, although I could see my 2 SATA drives as /dev/hda and /dev/hdb. I understand that the 2.6 Kernel available with FC3 supports SIS 180 hardware RAID, but I am assuming that I can't do a simple "graphical" install and I must do something fancy (like 'linux noprobe' at the prompt and then supplying a driver disk like the Promise RAID controller). Has anyone had any experience with this combination? Any help/direction would be appreciated.

Much thanks in advance.

Cheers, Craig

Craig Robinson

Disclaimer

This e-mail, including attachments if any, has originated from a Queensland government agency and may contain information that is confidential, or covered by legal professional privilege, and is intended for the named recipient(s) only.  If you have received this message in error, you are asked to inform the sender as quickly as possible and delete this message and any copies of this message from your computer system network.

Any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail, including attachments is prohibited.  Unless otherwise stated, this e-mail, including attachments represents the views of the sender and not the views of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Although this e-mail has been checked for the presence of computer viruses, the Environmental Protection Agency provides no warranty that all possible viruses have been detected and cleaned.  Any use of this e-mail could harm your computer system.