FC3 Usability Problems

Per Nystrom centaur at netmagic.net
Sun Jan 9 02:22:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 17:44, john bray wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 13:11 -0800, Per Nystrom wrote:
>  <snip>
> > 2.  Two desktop panels is one too many
> > 	o The new layout with the GIANORMOUS main menu drawer buttons is
> > 	  ridiculous.  Use icons with hover popups to say "Applications"
> > 	  and "Actions" -- don't spell them out in the panel!  Also,
> > 	  trying to put the top panel on the left or right sides is a
> > 	  sick joke -- the thing becomes massively thick and can't be
> > 	  resized, probably because of the aforementioned spelled-out
> > 	  drawer buttons.
> > 	o If the above were fixed, it wouldn't be necessary to have two
> > 	  panels.  Leave the desktop as clean as possible, especially
> > 	  vertically.
>  <snip>
>
> i'm not sure quite what you're seeing, per, but i'm sure not seeing what
> you are.  i set both of my taskbars to autohide and set the size of the
> bottom one to suit me.
>
> now that i'm used to the dual taskbars, i'd NEVER EVER EVER go back to a
> single one.  having all my frequently used stuff at the top is
> wonderful.
>
> it seems to me a bit like you have some configuration problem going on.

Ok, I took some screenshots that will hopefully make everything clear.
I've also come to understand that the hideousness I'm referring to, the
"Custom Menu Bar", can be replaced with the "Main Menu" to get back the
simple old red hat and its single menu (actually, I have no objection to
breaking up the menu -- just to the abuse of the panel the way it was
done here).  But anyway, take a look at these pictures if you're still
wondering what I was complaining about:

http://www.netmagic.net/~centaur/CustomMenubarIdentified.png
http://www.netmagic.net/~centaur/CustomMenuBarOnSide.png