FC3 Installtion Problems

Thomas Riggs td.riggs at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 30 16:24:30 UTC 2005

Thomas Riggs wrote:

> Edward wrote:

>> I don't think by version he means build number, but rather DVD or CD
>> version - I could be wrong though. I believe version wise there's
>> only one?
>>
>> I also do not suspect your hardware per-se, except to say I've had a
>> lot of trouble with VIA I/O controllers. This is what I would do
>> first before anything else:
>>
>> 1> Run Memtest. I believe you can run it from the Fedora CD/DVD now,
>> but if not grab it off the net.
>>
>> 2> This is probably just because I don't like the VIA Apollo Pro
>> chipset when it comes to I/O, but I would most definitely turn off
>> DMA for the install. Use the site: http://www.fedorafaq.org.
>>
>> Here's an excerpt that may help you:
>>
>> Q: I have strange installation problems.
>> A: If your installation doesn't work, or you have problems during or
>> after installation, first read the README and the Release Notes.
>>
>> If the README and Release Notes don't have a solution for your
>> problem, try booting the installer with one of the following commands:
>>
>> linux ide=nodma
>>
>> linux acpi=off
>>
>> linux i8042.nomux
>>
>> linux acpi=off apm=off
>>
>> The "i8042.nomux" is especially helpful if you have keyboard or mouse
>> problems.
>>
>> If any of those commands fixes your problem, please file a bug in Red
>> Hat's Bugzilla.
>>
>> (Thanks to Alan Cox for all this information.)
>>
>> Try these first. Especially the ide=nodma one, as it has solved a lot
>> of install problems for a lot of people here.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ed.
>>
> Big thanks Ed, hopefully I'll get FC working soon!
> (It's CD by the way)
>
> -Thomas Riggs

Oh jeez...I sat down with a pile of books to read, and went through
those install switches twice each. I thought turning off DMA wasn't
working (it hung on the formatting screen), and after spending some
hours on the other switches, I tried turning off DMA again out of
curiosity. I waited a few minutes longer, and it worked. I hope I'm not
tempting Murphy here, but it seems to be going great so far.
Thanks a lot; hopefully i won't run into many other problems.
Thanks for getting me started in the big world of Linux!

Thomas Riggs