fc3, sendmail, and dovecot problems revisited

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 10 11:47:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 19:58 -0600, rado wrote:
> Alexander and Bob, please accept my appology, I was so wrong!
>
> Yes, the mail system works fine in the 2nd server...10.0.0.12 if y'all
> can remember.
>
> Bob, you both were so close and made me look into the router config and
> yep, there it was, in front of God and everybody. It's a zoom 5x adsl
> router, I had completely forgotten that I did indeed set up; not nat but
> something like it. Virtual ummm anyway...you give it the public
> port ..private port tcp or udp and private address you want it to point
> to...well I had 6 ports pointed to 53,80,25,21,20..all those tcp and 53
> udp all pointing to 10.0.0.10....I added these exact same ports but
> pointing to 10.0.0.12 and yes...mail works now.
>
> I'm sorry for that you guys.
>
> mind you that this is temporary. gringo w/all this that I am, I really
> have to or want to give each of these 2 servers it's own unique primary
> address...like 10.0.0.20 and 10.0.0.21. and use 10.0.0.10 as the server
> address which will roam between the both of them. I am not sure how to
> do this yet and I will be trying to get smart on this subject now. I
> will be gettin back to y'all soon.
>
> thx for all u2
>
> John Rose
> --
> rado <rado at rivers-bend.com>

John,

I don't know how the Zoom modem handles the port forwarding, that is,
whether it relies strictly on learned MAC address or IP, and how long is
it's ARP cache timeout.  We use a combination of shell scripts, ping and
ifconfig with IP address aliasing for redundant MRTG machines.

You might look into some of the High Availability (HA) techniques for
linux.  That is, if you are looking for redundancy and not load sharing.
Load sharing through port forwarding (virtual servers) might get a
little complicated and would probably be best served with a second DSL
line and dedicated address.  Then let DNS handle it.

Bob...